unattended-update - still prompts for confirmation

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 07:27:09 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 9:50 AM,  <ubuntu at cgi-net.ch> wrote:

> I'm running a client enevironment with about 60 clients.
> Due to some local specification do we update our Ubuntu Lucid clients
> regulary with the following command, which is called through a special
> mechanism:
>
> /bin/date >> $LOG
> /usr/bin/aptitude update >> $LOG
> /usr/bin/apt-get -o DPkg::Options::="--force-confold" --force-yes -fuy
> upgrade -t $(lsb_release --short --codename)-security >> $LOG
> /usr/bin/aptitude upgrade -y -t $(lsb_release --short --codename)-security
>>> $LOG
>
> Unfortunately does the script still prompt me if a configuration file is
> being changed (just had it when installing the update for grub-pc)
> Since I do not want to have Ubuntu prompt me on how I want to proceed with
> the file, would I kindly appreciate if somebody could help me sorting this
> out (to have a fully non-interactive update method).

(Why are you running both "apt-get upgrade" and "aptitude safe-upgrade"?)

(AFAIK, you cannot use "-t ..." with "upgrade"; "upgrade" upgrades all
packages eligible for an upgrade.)

Adding ' -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" ' to your apt-get
invocation would've behaved the way that you want, at least for
grub-pc's case where the default is to keep the current config.