NVIDIA Gforce4 440 Go

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Mon Nov 29 05:43:55 UTC 2010

On 29/11/2010 14:39, Jerry wrote:

> I’ve installed several times and tried some of the WEB advice, the
> last was edit xorg.conf, and now need to re-install (again). What do I
> need to do to make this video card work with Ubuntu 10.04?
>
> Thank you all….
>
> Jerry

After you have installed 10.04 go to System>Administration>Hardware
Drivers and you should see what Ubuntu has selected as the driver to
install for the video card - including a possibly a couple of choices.
Ignore the choices and install what Ubuntu is suggesting. The
installation is actually worded as "Not Activated" or "Activate" or
something similar. Don't try and install a driver from nVidia itself but
let Ubuntu "Activate" it.

Don't fiddle with the xorg.conf file. The video is configured "on the
fly"; xorg.conf is only fiddle with under very special circumstances,
and if you know what you are doing. What this also means is that if you
have UPGRADED to 10.04 from an earlier version, rather than did a
"CLEAN" install of 10.04, then it would be good idea to rename
"xorg.conf" so that it is inaccessible and allow 10.04 to do its "on the
fly" configuration (after Ubuntu has "activated" the driver as I
mentioned above).

If this doesn't work, come back with details of what happens/doesn't happen.

BC

--
ATTORNEY:  The youngest son, the 20-year-old, how old is he?
WITNESS:   He's 20, much like your IQ.