How to transfer settings from one fresh install to a ubuntu newbies install

ms devicerandom at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 18:17:42 UTC 2010

On 28/11/10 13:42, user1 wrote:
> So my suggestion is to make it possible for a newbie to make a fresh
> install, and then to add "something" to finish the installation so the
> ubuntui is fully working without any further setup.

That's exactly what Ubuntu developers are for, I guess. Making Linux
accessible and easy is the main purpose of the distribution.

In fact, "Ubuntu fully working without any further setup" is what
already happens in a majority of cases, I'd say. If Mint does it better,
well, let's take some ideas from them :)

Then, no OS is ever "fully working without any further setup": everyone
usually customizes it to their needs. And the link you provide doesn't
really talk about fresh installs, but talks about transferring settings
to a new install.

> The installation should end up with the newbie to just change username
> and pasword of his/hers own choice.

And... isn't it what happens already?

> This "something" should contain: Necessary repos, necessary deb packages,
> a sources.list file, a /home folder and a /etc folder?

Ehm. These are already all ready when you install Ubuntu, obviously.

--
Massimo Sandal, Ph.D.
http://devicerandom.org