Best supported motherboard

Franz Waldmüller waldbauernbub at gmx.at
Sat Nov 27 13:37:10 UTC 2010

Hi Basil,

I remember how difficult it was to get some information about the
motherboard before purchase, so I did some further testing for you on my
ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 motherboard.

Am 2010-11-27 01:17, schrieb Franz Waldmüller:
> Hi Basil,
>
> Am 2010-11-26 22:48, schrieb Basil Kurian:
>> Hi Franz
>>
>> Please see below comment in this page http://www.anandtech.com/show/2959

[snip]
>> Also  a sleep issue is mentioned . what about it ?
I installed ubuntu 10.10 64bit and tested the sleep modes.
USB3 still disabled in the bios.
Suspend to RAM and Suspend to DISK both work.
With the open source radeon drivers. I didn't test the proprietary flgrx
drivers.
I am not sure if the suspend modes will still work when usb3 is enabled
in the bios.
Franz

> I just did some testing for you:
> (I never used the sleep modes)

> Suspend to RAM and Suspend to Disk don't work with ubuntu 10.04 when usb
> 3.0 is enabled in the Bios (I am using the 64bit version of ubuntu-10.04.1)
> I had to disable the usb 3.0 controller then suspend to disk worked
> (with the open source radeon driver)
> check out this thread:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10092819
>
> installed the proprietary flgrx-driver (from the ubuntu repositories).
> suspend to RAM does *not work*
> suspend to DISK *does work*
>
> according to this german hardware compatibility list this asus board is
> supported out of the box in ubuntu 10.10.
> http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Hardwaredatenbank/Mainboards#Asus
>
> This board might be a little bit to new for my 10.04 installation - but
> I don't mind.
>
> Actually I didn't have that many motherboard to choose from:
> I wanted to use ECC-RAM: unless I wanted to by an expensive high end
> Intel-CPU I had to choose from AMD.
>
> And ASUS is the only manufacuter who offers consumer mainboard
> supporting ECC-memory. I chose the M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 because of the
> integrated graphics and the SATA II and USB 3.0 support.
>
> If you want to know which memory modules I used I can check it for you
> (I found some modules from Kingston which were just a little bit more
> expensive than non-ECC modules).
>
> My suspend issues could be related to my software-RAID as well. I don't
> know if mdadm can handle suspend to RAM.
>
> Franz

[snip]