Best supported motherboard

Basil Kurian basilkurian at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 03:26:38 UTC 2010

Hi Franz

Regarding that overclocking problem , may be Asus had fixed it long ago.
Actually I don't need this Sleep facility in my system, since it is not a
laptop. I was thinking of using Corsair's RAM with the board. Does ECC RAM
improve system performance well ??

2010/11/27 Franz Waldmüller <waldbauernbub at gmx.at>

> Hi Basil,
>
> Am 2010-11-26 22:48, schrieb Basil Kurian:
> > Hi Franz
> >
> > Please see below comment in this page http://www.anandtech.com/show/2959
> >
> > /*The board does do this weird thing where if you power it off before
> > the OS has shut it down completely, when you power it back on it thinks
> > that you have an overclocking problem (probably detects an incomplete
> > shutdown and assumes bad overclocking) and requires going into the BIOS
> > and back out to continue the boot. And I don't have any overclocking
> > enabled at all, I just manually set the timings for my memory because
> > the defaults were not right.*/
> >

> > Does that occurs in your case ?
> No I don't know this problem. It never occurred with my machine. I
> didn't set any over clocking or frequencies in the bios. Just enabled
> AHCI and the ECC RAM.
> >

> > Also  a sleep issue is mentioned . what about it ?
> I just did some testing for you:
> (I never used the sleep modes)
>
> Suspend to RAM and Suspend to Disk don't work with ubuntu 10.04 when usb
> 3.0 is enabled in the Bios (I am using the 64bit version of ubuntu-10.04.1)
> I had to disable the usb 3.0 controller then suspend to disk worked
> (with the open source radeon driver)
> check out this thread:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10092819
>
> installed the proprietary flgrx-driver (from the ubuntu repositories).
> suspend to RAM does *not work*
> suspend to DISK *does work*
>
> according to this german hardware compatibility list this asus board is
> supported out of the box in ubuntu 10.10.
> http://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/Hardwaredatenbank/Mainboards#Asus
>
> This board might be a little bit to new for my 10.04 installation - but
> I don't mind.
>
> Actually I didn't have that many motherboard to choose from:
> I wanted to use ECC-RAM: unless I wanted to by an expensive high end
> Intel-CPU I had to choose from AMD.
>
> And ASUS is the only manufacuter who offers consumer mainboard
> supporting ECC-memory. I chose the M4A89GTD Pro/USB3 because of the
> integrated graphics and the SATA II and USB 3.0 support.
>
> If you want to know which memory modules I used I can check it for you
> (I found some modules from Kingston which were just a little bit more
> expensive than non-ECC modules).
>
> My suspend issues could be related to my software-RAID as well. I don't
> know if mdadm can handle suspend to RAM.
>
> Franz
>

> > 2010/11/26 Franz Waldmüller <waldbauernbub at gmx.at
> > <mailto:waldbauernbub at gmx.at>>
> >
> >     Hi Basil,
> >
> >     Am 2010-11-26 14:47, schrieb Basil Kurian:
> >      > Hi
> >      >
> >      > Which will be a good motherboard for AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black
> >      > Edition ? I mean a board which got a lot of performance and
> >     features (
> >      > with integrated graphics card , SATA 3 and usb 3.0) and best
> [...]

Regards

Basil Kurian
http://basilkurian.tk
RSA Public key : gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 41005549