output to 1980x1080 screen chops top and bottom of display

Verde Denim tdldev at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 02:40:10 UTC 2010

I'm running 10.04.1 LTS and just put my Panasonic 42" screen up (my old
monitor went dead a day or so back). I have the nvidia utility loaded, and
it seems to detect the 1920 x 1080 just fine, but the top and bottom bars of
the display are not visible. If I move the mouse up so that it is
off-screen, I can find the apps and preferences drop-downs, but can't
minimize any open windows as they would be "lost" since I can't see the
bottom either. Is there any way of adjusting the display so that these bars
are visible? I've tried other resolutions which don't help. In reading
through some of the forum messages there seems to be some possibility with
xrandr and xbmc (although this seems to be a utility for tv and not for
actual desktop operation). Any input, as always, is appreciated.

Thanks...

Jack