DNS not being populated in resolv.conf

Kaushal Shriyan kaushalshriyan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 02:08:47 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 5:45 PM, W. Scott Lockwood III
<scott at guppylog.com>wrote:

> /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head
>
> You really should 'man resolvconf' before asking such basic questions.
>
> On Fri, 2010-11-26 at 11:23 +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

Hi Again

Let me explain in details the issue as i am facing now

I have three Internet Service Provider to connect to internet from my laptop
running Ubuntu Desktop Linux OS 10.04

For example ISP A, ISP B ISP C

ISP A  --> is the Office Network (when i am in office )
ISP B -->  is the Mobile Broadband Network (when i am moving )
ISP C --> is the Home Network (when i am at home)

Also in addition to the above details :-

I have local DNS Server at office, DNS server of Data Center 1 and DNS
Server of Data Center 2. so whenever i am in office, by default i need to
connect to these
three DNS Servers in order to access the servers.

The steps i have followed after using resolvconf

sudo apt-get install resolvconf
sudo rm /etc/resolv.conf
sudo ln -s /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
sudo vim /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf

Add the following lines in the beginning.

foreign_option_1='dhcp-option DOMAIN off.example.com dc1.example.com
dc2.example.com'
foreign_option_2='dhcp-option DNS 172.26.0.1'
foreign_option_3='dhcp-option DNS 10.20.0.1'
foreign_option_4='dhcp-option DNS 10.20.0.2'
foreign_option_5='dhcp-option DNS 10.30.0.1'

save and exit

Add the below two lines at the bottom of the file openvpn client DC1.conf

up /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf
down /etc/openvpn/update-resolv-conf

The issue which i am facing is that I am unable to resolve the local DNS
Servers at office. I need the local DNS Server in order to access Network
printers
and other devices.

Office DNS Server is off.example.com and DNS Server IP is 172.26.0.1

How do i go about in fixing this issue.

Please suggest/guide

Thanks and Regards

Kaushal