Empathy

Tony Pursell ajp at princeswalk.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Nov 26 16:57:00 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-11-26 at 14:33 -0200, Thiago Cavalcante wrote:
> Friends,
>
> How to set up Webcam audio and video chat via MSN Messenger and
> GoogleTalk on Empathy?
>
> Thanks,

I assume you want these because you want to contact Windows users. (If
you are considering these protocols between Empathy users, you would be
better off both using Jabber)

To state the obvious, webcam AV can only take place between people with
functioning webcams & microphones. This is shown by a webcam icon
against the contact in the contact list.

Both can be set up with Edit > Accounts > Add.  Google Talk is at the
top of the list of protocols and MSN is in the middle of the list.  For
MSN, I assume that you need an account that you have already set up with
Windows Live Messenger. For Google Talk, you need a Gmail or Googlmail
account.

Whether these work or not is a debatable. MSN AV support was available
from 10.10, but it doesn't work well.  I have a bug report for it at

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/empathy/+bug/665744

If you have the same problem, please add yourself to this bug.
GoogleTalk, in my experience, is also poor, but I don't use it much so
I'm not sure if it has improved.

The only reliable AV between me (on Ubuntu) and my brother (on Windows
XP) is Skype.

Hope that helps

Tony