Smartphone reccommendataions for syncing with Ubuntu (or any *nix*)

Angus MacGyver macgyver at calibre-solutions.co.uk
Wed Nov 24 20:01:54 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 14:53 -0500, Jason E. High wrote:
> On 11/24/2010 02:37 PM, Angus MacGyver wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Kinda maybe a little off topic, but, I got an iPhone and an Android, but
> > neither sync contacts/tasks etc with Evolution...
> >
> > Anyone got any recommendations on a smartphone (one with 'net access,
> > and some apps) that *DOES*.
> >
> > TIA.
> >
> > --
> > AM
> >

> I have a Motorola Droid and I just sync my calendar, contacts, etc.
> using Google's cloud.  There are instructions on the web for syncing
> Evolution's calendar and contacts with Google, and you can use IMAP
> access to sync your mail.
> --
> Jason E. High

Cheers... but I think a whoops by me is in order.

I should perhaps clarify...

Can I sync <insert recommended phone> to Evolution *without* giving my
data to Google or another 3rd party :-)

Either via wireless/Bluetooth, or USB to my laptop(s)

I should also mention I run my own mailserver, so IMAP mail to my client
machines.

I used to do this with a couple of SonyEricsson's quite a long time back
- and they were relatively dumb phones.

Cheers

--
AM