How to set default nice level for an application

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Nov 24 17:51:23 UTC 2010

Matthias Andersson wrote:
> On 11/24/2010 08:09 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > But if you mean
> > 19, I would suggest you create a starter for thunderbird on your
> > desktop which starts the command
> >
> > /usr/bin/nice -19 /usr/bin/thunderbird
> >
> > and maybe you should also consider using ionice (see "man ionice")
> > which would make the command:
> >
> > /usr/bin/nice -19 /usr/bin/ionice -c3 /usr/bin/thunderbird
>
> Sorry, I meant level 19. I have run the command renice -n 19 -p <pid>
> to set thunderbird to run at a higher nice level. However, is there
> some way of doing this automagically?

Yes, it could be done with a script like this (untested):

#!/bin/bash
while true;do
  pids=$(/bin/pidof thunderbird)
  test -z "$pids" || /usr/bin/renice -19 $pids
  sleep 1m
done

Make that script executable and make it run at startup. Sorry, I can't
tell you how to do it with Gnome but with KDE you could put the script
in $HOME/.kde/Autostart/. However I would prefer to use a starter like I
wrote in my previous reply. That avoids renicing processes every minute
which are already at level 19 and thunderbird is run with level 19 from
the start.

Nils