Wacom Bamboo on Lucid

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Nov 23 05:53:46 UTC 2010

On 23/11/2010 15:06, Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 11/22/2010 08:45 PM, Albert Wagner wrote:
>
>> I am struggling with getting a Wacom Bamboo CTH-460 tablet properly
>> installed on Lucid. I have uninstalled xserver-xorg-input-wacom in
>> Synaptic.  I have installed linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 from Linux Wacom
>> Project. And I have downloaded xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 from Linux Wacom
>> Tablet Project.  It seems to me that linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 yields a
>> kernel module, whereas, xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 yields an Xorg module.
>> I am in way over my head.  With linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 my pen "sort of"
>> works (the paint path is nowhere near the brush).  There are many
>> features missing, notably touch.  Any HOWTO out there explaining all of
>> this is in a hot state of change, with new, contradictory, info daily.
>> I think that I should install xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 next to get the
>> necessary X mods.
>>
>> Could anyone explain the distinctions between linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 and
>> xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9?
>>
>> Both Linux Wacom Project and Linux Wacom Tablet Project are SourceForge
>> based and seem to be joined at the hip.
>>

> Just my $0.02. Kubuntu 10.04. YMMV.
>
> I tried to get my 460 working and did actually manage it once. But, on a
> reboot I found that the settings didn't stick and I would have to go
> through the whole thing over again. I decided it just wasn't worth the
> trouble and hooked it up to my Windows machine. Now I use it with Gimp
> in Windows and use Dropbox to transfer back to my Kubuntu machine. Way
> less trouble.

Ouch! And I thought that you *had* solved that problem which is why I
suggested to Albert to post his query here and to ask you specifically
in private mail if necessary about it.

@ Albert: Sorry old boy about my advice :-( .

BC

--
Attorney:    Doctor, do you recall the time that you examined the body?
Witness:     The autopsy started at 2030 hours.