Wacom Bamboo on Lucid

Albert Wagner albertwagner at cox.net
Tue Nov 23 02:45:42 UTC 2010

I am struggling with getting a Wacom Bamboo CTH-460 tablet properly
installed on Lucid. I have uninstalled xserver-xorg-input-wacom in
Synaptic.  I have installed linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 from Linux Wacom
Project. And I have downloaded xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 from Linux Wacom
Tablet Project.  It seems to me that linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 yields a
kernel module, whereas, xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 yields an Xorg module.
I am in way over my head.  With linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 my pen "sort of"
works (the paint path is nowhere near the brush).  There are many
features missing, notably touch.  Any HOWTO out there explaining all of
this is in a hot state of change, with new, contradictory, info daily.
I think that I should install xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9 next to get the
necessary X mods.

Could anyone explain the distinctions between linux-wacom-0.8.8-10 and
xf86-input-wacom-0.10.9?

Both Linux Wacom Project and Linux Wacom Tablet Project are SourceForge
based and seem to be joined at the hip.