split/isolate network

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sun Nov 21 20:13:45 GMT 2010

On 11/21/2010 02:45 AM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> Sorry, forgot to add that a good router/firewall1 should be able to
>> accomplish the above. However I've not (yet) found a wireless router
>> with a good enough firewall interface to allow me to inspect packets,
>> logs, etc., in the same manner as my wired router/firewall, so I just
>> connect the wireless to the wired&  use the wired as the controlling
>> router&  gateway.
> If you have a wireless router that is supported by openwrt [1] or other
> free firmware, you can do all you want - it is just another Linux
> distrubution. Of course you may void your warrenty if you don't use the
> original firmware supplied by the manufacturer, but that's another
> story.
>

> Nils
>
> [1]<http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start>

I have just ordered (but not yet received) a Linksys WRT54GL-RM wireless
router to replace my Linksys BEFSR-41.  I selected this for three reasons:
1. I have had good results with the wired router over the years, and the
firewall seems to have worked pretty well.
2. I intend to keep most of my gear wired, and only use the wireless if I
want to carry my laptop into the living room, and this router has
ethernet output ports.  (Yes, I know some others also do.)
3. (This may seem silly, but) this model is flat on top, unlike the N
version
which is round on top; I want to keep my cable modem on top of it. The
cable modem is of vertical design, so the situation cannot be reversed.

One other:  I have a Trendnet wireless that I was using in series, as
suggested, but it apparently failed, so I figured that Linksys had a
better track record.

So are you suggesting that the Linksys wireless router does not have as
hardy a firewall as the wired version?  Is there any reasonable way to tell?

--doug