A virus or two

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 21 20:50:01 UTC 2010

On 11/19/2010 10:56 AM, Doug Robinson wrote:
> Hello
>     While browsing at the local electronic toy store the topic of
> Linux arose. The man claimed that his linux system has had two viruses
> find their way into his system in the last year.
>
>     I have not heard much about nor experienced any such attacks on any of
> my linux systems .
>
>     What is the current state of the virus problem on the generic linux
> system and
> should I become concerned enough to actually do something?

You (and the toy store employee) may find these useful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Linuxvirus
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Antivirus

I personally operate in a multi-os environment where on-demand scanning
makes sense, so I use bitdefender for unices, YMMV.