Asus EeePC 1005PG and Linux

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sun Nov 21 06:09:45 UTC 2010

On 11/20/2010 05:37 PM, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> On Sunday 21 November 2010 05:42:08 am Doug wrote:
>> Three reasons to keep Windows:
> Every one has his own reasons, but at least 1 and 3 don't seem very sound to
> me:
>
>> 1.  There are still a few internet vendors whose order forms are not
>> Linux-compatible.
> Ignore them (if really, really you need to order from them Virtual Box will be
> enough).
>
>> 2.  There are a few programs or services that only run on Windows.  One
>> I can think of:
>>           Crucial (memory) analysis program. I'm pretty sure I've run
>> into others.
> And you regularly have to check your memories? I don't think I ever did. But
> depending on the utility, yes, maybe.
>
>> 3. If you ever need to have someone work on the machine (God forbid!) he
>> will not have a
>>           clue about Linux, and may very well make matters worse or break
>> something.
> This one seems really ridiculous to me. how is that person supposed to work on
> Windows if no software is installed? You don't need "a clue about Linux" to
> use the "start button", both Gnome's and KDE's are very similar to Windows',
> and look for the program you need.
>
> If you mean someone repairing the machine, they would be suposed to be
> professionals, no? Otherwise this boils down to "allways pay a license to
> Microsoft so that Microsoft certified It guys can repair your computer".
>
>> --doug
> Thierry
Well, I'll agree that number 1 is something to avoid, if possible.
Number 2:  The Crucial memory analyzer tells you what kind of memory
you can buy to upgrade your machine, in case you're not up on what's in it.
Number 3:  Well, if Windows comes on the machine, there's really no
reason to dump it--you've paid for it already.  Assume the repair guy has a
stack of CDs with diagnostics written for a Windows environment.

Anyway, I'm certainly not suggesting you buy Windows if you don't get it
already installed without an opportunity to refuse it and save the price.

Reason 4, of course, is that there are a few programs that are not Linux-
available.  I'm thinking specifically of electronic design and analysis
software--there are probably others made for other engineering fields,
like for calculating strength of materials, etc.  Most of these are high-
dollar items, and the cost of Windows is as nothing in comparison.
But probably most people don't need them.

--doug