Asus EeePC 1005PG and Linux

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sun Nov 21 04:42:08 UTC 2010

On 11/20/2010 05:47 AM, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I went to my mobile carrier customer service to get a mobile Internet
> plan for my line and got an Asus 1005PG (built in 3G GPRS modem) as a
> "gift" (included as part of the monthly payment).
>
> I wasn't able to find any information regarding this model's
> compatibility with Linux (or Ubuntu, for that matter).
>
> Any of of has experience with this specific model? With installing
> Ubuntu on it? More importantly - using the built in 3G modem?
>
> My other question is in regard of the pre-installed Windows 7 (Starter
> Edition, I think) and the Linux based fast boot OS that comes with
> their latest models. I forget it's name:
>
> Should I wipe out all the existing partitions and use the whole hard
> drive for Ubuntu 10.04 UNR? or
>
> Should I dual boot with Windows 7 and leave the Recovery Mode
> partition untouched?
>
> I despise Microsoft prudocts and can't even stand the site of them
> (had bad experience (data loss) with them in the past and can't stand
> any of them since), but the only reasons I can think of for leaving
> the Windows on it is for compatibility check, and the obe thing I
> wasn't able to accomplish with Linux: upgrade my Nokia's firmware. Not
> even with VirtualBox - after my Nokia N97 boots while updating it
> looses connection with the VM and fails....
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
>
> .:====================================================:.
>
> Amichai Rotman
Three reasons to keep Windows:

1.  There are still a few internet vendors whose order forms are not
Linux-compatible.

2.  There are a few programs or services that only run on Windows.  One
I can think of:
         Crucial (memory) analysis program. I'm pretty sure I've run
into others.

3. If you ever need to have someone work on the machine (God forbid!) he
will not have a
         clue about Linux, and may very well make matters worse or break
something.

--doug