split/isolate network

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Sat Nov 20 11:39:38 UTC 2010

On 19/11/10 22:24, rikona wrote:
> I'd like to split my local net into two parts which are completely
> isolated, with no possibility of direct communication between them.
> I'm wondering how to do this with a linux box, perhaps as follows:
>
>   cable modem ->  router ->  linux box ->  2 isolated net connections
>
>   I'm not sure what this might be called, and google was not my friend
>   re this problem, so I thought I'd ask here. The linux box would be
>   dedicated, not used for other purposes, and would be an older, much-
>   less-capable-hdwe box.
>
>   One of the net connections [side 1] would have several fixed-IP boxes
>   on it, with NO other box addresses allowed. The other [side 2] would
>   need DHCP, with one or more boxes connected, whose address range does
>   NOT overlap that of side 1. [I'm thinking 192.168... and 10.0... for
>   example.]
>
>   I'm not sure how to do this, but am assuming it is likely possible.
>   Any suggestions for how to do this, or where to find out on the net,
>   would be appreciated.
>
>   Also, it looks like 10.04 will not install on the less-capable-hdwe
>   box. If you know of alternative S/W that might work on older hdwe,
>   please let me know. And, if there's a very inexpensive hardware
>   solution that would do the above, that might be preferred, since I'm
>   far from being a linux/network guru. :-)
>
>   Many thanks,
>
>    rikona

Rikona,
Maybe a little OT but what you want to achieve with even the oldest
hardware you have can be done using LEAF. I use it now for over 15 years
now on a stand-alone K6-box with no disks and a minimum of memory (I
think it is 48 Mb) but I started with an old pentium I think 300 MHz.
You can use as much network cards as your motherboard permits to split
your network. It is base on Shorwall as the firewall and I have never
had any problems with it. I used to have 3 branches (Outside world,
local net and DMZ) but now I have temporarily 2 as I don't use a DMZ any
more as my website is elsewhere.
The URL is:> http://leaf.sourceforge.net/
The current active branch is Bering uclibc.
Hope it helps,
Joep