sound icon/network manager missing

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 18:29:25 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 09:23 -0500, G. wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Mark <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 4:48 PM, G. <pegngaryubuntu at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> That was the first thing I tried.  By the way, if I use the Netbook
> >> interface it works fine, it's the Gnome interface that gives the
> >> problem.
> >>
> > I think I ran into this when I first installed Ubuntu on my laptop,
> > before I made myself sick staying up too late at night to put it on my
> > desktop.
> >
> > There are two or three different Preferences and possibly
> > administrative settings that all have to agree on exactly what you
> > want where.  on is having a notification area on the panel, which you
> > do, one is setting up the power settings for the right displays, and
> > there's a third one that actually controls what gets displayed in the
> > notification area when you want a power applet there, but that's as
> > far as I can make out four weeks later - it's all become fuzzy to me.
> >
> > Sorry I can't be more specific - what I did was poke into every
> > setting that had anything to do with power, battery, etc.  I can only
> > tell you that there _is_ a configuration that works.  FTR, I installed
> > the standard Ubuntu 10.10 on my laptop, so the Netbook was never even
> > a contender, I just went straight to GNOME.
> >
> > --
> >

> So the desktop ubuntu is what you installed?
>
> To add to my mystery, I ran the latest updates and voila, in the Gnome
> version of the Desktop I now have the Network manager but not the
> sound.  In my second user, I have sound but not the Network Manager,
> also using Gnome.  Using the Netbook version I have everything.  Too
> bad I am not too fond of the interface.

There must be something different between 10.4 and 10.10 regarding
dot-files for sound. Too many problems regarding this are popping up
routinely. I'd suggest mv'ing your .pulse file to something
like .pulse.old, rm .pulse-cookie and then log out and back in. I
wouldn't think that a second untrusted user could access network
mangler. Let us know if this works. Ric

Linux user# 44256