Can I disable one of the cores?

J dreadpiratejeff at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 17:01:59 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 04:40, Alan Pope <popey at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I name all my machines after computers from science fiction.
>
> Wopr (War Games), mother (Alien), hactar (Hitchhikers Guide to the
> Galaxy), bishop (Aliens), ash (Alien)..
>
> Sad, I know.
>
> Al.

Then I must be equally sad...

When I worked for IBM, I named my lab systems in a similar fashion.  I
had a HAL, a WOPR, and my personal favorite, ProteusIV
(http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/top-ten-evil-computers-49293424/2/)

WOPR and ProteusIV were 8 node cluster systems and they had their own
temperamental personalities... just like their counterparts int he
movies.

My Alienware laptop is named Klaatu (from Day the Earth Stood Still,
not tangentially from Army of Darkness), and I have a lot named for
Star Wars characters and references too. (Rogue, Wedge, Deathstar)

Cheers,

Jeff