Google Earth on Maverick?

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Fri Nov 19 08:49:20 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-11-19 at 14:45 +0800, Sandy Harris wrote:
> I tried downloading from earth.google.com. The extraction fails with an error
> message about some file not existing, one it should have created. I suppose
> I could try to debug the script, but would prefer not to. Neither repeating the
> download in case I had a corrupt file nor running the extraction as root
> in case it was a permission problem helped.
>
> Checking medibuntu, I see they have Earth for Lucid but not (yet?) for
> Maverick.
>
> I could back-grade to Lucid, but has anyone got a better idea?

Maybe....

I have it running just fine on Maverick 64.

When I went to look for a download, there was no option to download any
choice of 32 or 64 bit packages. The option I found that works for me is
instead of downloading the .bin file from Google do this:-
sudo aptitude install googleearth-package

Then from a directory of your choice
make-googleearth-package --force
which automatically fetches the .bin file it needs and creates a .deb
file for your installation. There were many compiler warnings along the
way but I didn't notice any errors.

So, my next step was to do
sudo gdebi googleearth_5.2.1.1588+0.5.7-1_amd64.deb

I wasn't quite ready at this stage - the menu entry didn't seem to match
the location of the executable. I found out where it was using
which googleearth

and edited the menu. Now it's working just fine.

Any help?

Dave