How do I install g++ 4.5 on ubuntu 10.10?

Mark mhullrich at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 03:58:51 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 6:55 PM, K. Frank <kfrank29.c at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mark -

I'll be brief.  I misunderstood nothing.

Clearly, g++ (version 4.4) is *the* Ubuntu Maverick distribution
package for the GNU C++ compiler, not g++-4.5.  g++-4.5 is a newer
version that has not been blessed to be part of the distro yet.

IOW, they *are* different packages.  You cannot get one from the other.  Period.

As for what is inside the packages, again, they are different packages
- one has been blessed as *the* official package that is part of the
distribution, one has not.  That's all.

You can want this not to be the case, or say you don't understand it,
but it will be the way it is until the powers that be bless a new
version as *the* official gcc/g++ for this distribution.  It's that
simple - ne need to make it harder than it is.