Grub 2 and moved sytem (rant and question)

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Thu Nov 18 21:45:43 UTC 2010

On 10-11-18 03:32 PM, Chris MacDonald wrote:

> I use the UUIDs, I find they're easy enough to find out, but I avoid
> grub 2 like the plague; the three machines I have Ubuntu installs on
> and I use on a regular basis all use extlinux instead. I have to
> manually update the configuration file when the kernel is updated, but
> that's not a big deal. By comparison, extlinux is dead easy to
> understand and modify. None of these machines multiboot though so I
> guess my use case is pretty simplistic.
>
> Chris

My computer has 7 hard drives, (including 1 raid array and 1 windows
install.  and I assure you, Grub 2 has been a godsend.  I understand the
version fatigue and frustration when all your old tricks and processes
are obsolete,, believe me,, but I painfully remember the old days when I
had to carefully configure the bios so my linux drive was always "drive
0", and getting windows to boot involved editing the grub boot stanza at
boot time to try each drive number 1 at a time until I was able to
figure out which 'drive' had windows this time around (then having to
manually fix menu.lst to permanently record the change.

By comparison, Grub 2 always just works right out of the box, and when
installing adding a new OS, a simple update-grub is all that I need to
make everything work like magic.. it's a huge improvement, and well
worth a small learning curve.