32bit on AMD64

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Wed Nov 17 20:44:18 UTC 2010

Hi!

I had decided to give a try to going 64bit. unfortunately, I quite nned to use
a Kodak i1220 scanner frequently... and this scanner requires Kodak's
drivers... and these drivers are only for i386.

I did try, hoping it would work. Most things install correctly until i get
this error:

Installing the TWAIN DSM...
dpkg: error processing twaindsm.deb (--install):
 package architecture (i386) does not match system (amd64)
 twaindsm.deb
Installing Packages...
dpkg: error processing *.deb (--install):
 cannot access archive: No such file or directory
 *.deb

Is there some magic I can do to (force?) install an i386 package?

I've found some (older) instruction to create a chrooted i386 environment but
I must say I'm not so fond of the idea, so I'll probably have to stay i386
for the time being.

Thierry