How do I install g++ 4.5 on ubuntu 10.10?

K. Frank kfrank29.c at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 02:48:43 UTC 2010

Hi NoOp -

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 8:31 PM, NoOp <glgxg at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 11/16/2010 03:40 PM, K. Frank wrote:
>> Hello All -
>>
>> I am playing around with a newly installed ubuntu 10.10, and would
>> like to install g++ 4.5.  Could anyone tell me how to do this?
>>
>> It appears that ubuntu came with gcc 4.4 already installed, but not
>> g++.  Running "apt-get install g++" installs g++, but its version 4.4
>> (as I guess I would expect).
>>
>> I've found what appear to be g++ 4.5 binaries, e.g.:
>>
>>    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty/i386/gcc-4.5/4.5.1-10ubuntu1
>>    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty/i386/g++-4.5/4.5.1-10ubuntu1

> Not sure. But perhaps you can get the associated depends as well:

I don't, in concrete terms, know how to do this.

> http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/g++

I had already happened across the above web page.  It seemed
to lead me to, among other places, the links to the ".deb" files
I mentioned above.  Other than those links, I don't know how
to use the link you gave to "get the associated" dependencies.

> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gcc-defaults/1.97ubuntu3

This appears to relate to the gcc source.  I am hoping to
find pre-built binaries, rather than build gcc myself.

Thanks for your help, and any additional clarification
would be appreciated.

K. Frank