Is this PC doa? (was a formatting question)

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Nov 16 05:07:55 UTC 2010

On 16/11/2010 14:34, mdovell at comcast.net wrote:
> Apparently I now receive the following message during the booting
> "S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, Backup and Replace"
>
> I think maybe this pc was simply running too hot for too long
> (although it's only two months old :-< )
> I still have access to busybox. Is there any way to possibly revive
> it? There's no cd/dvd rom just usb access.
> No issues with input devices, network or screen.

"'Apparently' I now receive the following....." :-) . You either do or
you don't :-) .

The S.M.A.R.T. message comes from the hard drive(s).

S.M.A.R.T. (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology;
sometimes written as SMART) is a monitoring system for computer hard
disk drives to detect and report on various indicators of reliability,
in the hope of anticipating failures.

When a failure is anticipated by S.M.A.R.T., the drive is typically
replaced and returned to the manufacturer, who uses these failed drives
to discover where faults lie and how to prevent them from recurring on
the next generation of hard disk drives.

There lies the tale. Your HD(s) are failing.

BC

--
A man kept complaining about not having shoes to wear - until he saw a man with no legs.