Disk defragmenting (was "Re: No Sound :(")

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Tue Nov 16 04:14:38 UTC 2010

On 16/11/2010 10:18, Douglas Pollard wrote:

[pruned]

> That is very intersting and I had certainly not thought about it in that
> light.  I am using FAT with the idea that both ubuntu and XP could work
> in it. Maybe there is another file type that both can work with?

This has already been answered - use NTFS and when you are installing
Ubuntu it detects your XP installation and the NTFS file format and
automatically installs the NTFS-3g for it.

>    The
> speed  does not matter to me a whole lot but there is an advantge For
> Premier if the drive is faster.   Of course even in need of
> defragmenting the drive is likely much faster than the usb cable It's
> running off of, I would guess.

If you want a decent, no nonsense, no BS, defragmenter for use with
Windows then its O & O Defrag Professional - you'll find it here
http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/products/oodefrag/ .

As you can see its not a freebie - but worth every cent. It has 8
'defragging' methods.

If you do get it, then make sure that you activate the option to check
the Windows partition for errors (ie, do chkdsk) and to not defrag the
partition if there is an error. Do NOT use the chkdsk option in XP
'Computer' part in START; if you want to use XP itself then use either
the Command Line and type in the usual 'chkdsk /f X:' or use the Admin
section in the (?)Control Panel (haven't used XP for so long that I have
forgotten the names of the bits I am talking about :-) ). However, O&O
Defrag won't let a bad partition to be 'defragged'.

BC

--
A man kept complaining about not having shoes to wear - until he saw a man with no legs.