FULLY functional install of Ubuntu 10.10 to USB stick in a WinXP enviroment

Richard Owlett rowlett at pcnetinc.com
Mon Nov 15 19:05:27 UTC 2010

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 15:57:57 +0000
> Peter Hillier-Brook<phb at hbsys.plus.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 11/11/2010 15:17, Richard Owlett wrote:
>> [cut]
>>

>>> HOW? The devil is in the details ;/
>>>
>>> The links I've been given and those found thru Google give
>>> apparently conflicting information. That may be due to differences
>>> between Ubuntu versions 8, 9, and 10. I found a screen-shot from
>>> version 9 showing an EXPLICIT choice under System Administration
>>> for installing to USB drive. That is NOT available for version
>>> 10.10.
>>
>> It is.
>>
>> System>Startup Disk Creator
>>
>> [cut]
>> Peter HB
>>
> System>Administration>Startup Disk Creator
> Don't forget the, "Administration," part.
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

Thank you all, I'm making progress.
I now have 10.10 on a boot-able USB flash and changes I make are
there the next time I boot.

*BUT*
There's always a but isn't there ;/

On startup I still get the "Welcome" (sic) screen from the "Live
install". The one with too VERY large icons. One is labeled "try
Ubuntu" and the other "install Ubuntu" (with the same ugly
background as the "live install" - the first thing I had changed ;)

When I choose "try Ubuntu", I get what I want.

Two questions:
1. How do I get rid of that first screen?
2. What should I be reading so I could have answered the question
myself? I'm guessing that there is a script somewhere that is
performing a function similar to autoexec.bat.