Grub error leads to more errors

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Sun Nov 14 20:31:10 UTC 2010

On Monday 15,November,2010 03:45 AM, mdovell at comcast.net wrote:
> had a crash and after resetting (10.04 version) it stated on a command
> line grub rescue.

Try this to go to a normal prompt.....
grub rescue> set prefix=(hdX,Y)/boot/grub
grub rescue> insmod (hdX,Y)/boot/grub/normal.mod
grub rescue> normal

Then proceed to boot. (note (hdX,Y) is where your / is)

> First time I've seen it. I have a backup of a startup
> disk (usb stick)
> In attempting to reinstall it gets odd. It states I have well over 150
> gigs of space but when I install it states I have less than one so it
> won't let me reinstall!
> Anyone know how this can happen?

It may be that it is attempting to install to the usb instead of the
hard drive and your usb has less than 1 GB.

Regards - Goh Lip