Cloning hard drive with dd or other?

Patton Echols p.echols at comcast.net
Sat Nov 13 18:05:02 UTC 2010

On 11/12/2010 09:00 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 11/13/2010 03:05 PM, Mark wrote:

>> Not exactly - the article doesn't say anything like that, one of the
>> comments, which is not entirely accurate, does.  If you just dd from
>> one drive to the other, and they have different geometries, SOME
>> things won't wind up in the right place because a sector by sector
>> copy (which dd can/does do) won't necessarily put your data in the
>> right place with the right access set up if the partitions should be
>> in different places, and so on.  Yes, that's true, but it's nothing to
>> be afraid of, just be aware of it and use a different scheme.
>>

> [pruned]
>
> Absolutely. I think that the only real concern one would have is to
> ensure that the new HD is AT LEAST as big as the original - it cannot be
> smaller, that is :-) .
>
> BC

Thanks Basil. I'm going to read up on ntfsclone as Preston suggested.
But do you mean that even if the comment is correct, and the geometries
are different, dd would still produce a drive functionally the same?

I guess my concern is whether this statement:

> SOME
> things won't wind up in the right place because a sector by sector
> copy (which dd can/does do) won't necessarily put your data in the
> right place with the right access set up if the partitions should be
> in different places, and so on.

Means that windows will not boot.  The existing drive has windows on a
single / first partition.