Ubuntu Netbook Edition

Jeffrey Needle jeff.needle at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 07:35:45 UTC 2010

My first post here.  Please be patient with me.

I'm using the latest incarnation of Ubuntu (10.10).  I quite like the
Netbook edition -- its interface is so friendly and comfortable for me.

When I start Ubuntu, I get the sign-in screen, and after pressing <enter>
to get to my password, I'm given a choice of interfaces at the bottom of
the screen.  One of the choices is the Netbook edition.  I choose it,
start Linux.  What I get are a series of icons on the left side of the
screen, and then, after a few moments, the familiar drop-down menus at
the top of the screen.  When I move the cursor to any of the icons, the
screen goes blank and refreshes.  Nothing brings up any of my choices.

Oddly, when I choose Netbook 2D, it works fairly well.  I get the
familiar interface, albeit somewhat larger fonts.

Is there something I can do to get the regular Netbook interface to work
correctly, other than reinstalling the whole system?

Thanks.