No Sound :(

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sat Nov 13 04:30:08 UTC 2010

On 11/13/2010 01:28 PM, Nathan Bahn wrote:

[pruned]

> Unfortunately, I discovered -- to my dismay -- that I lack the skill
> set required to follow the instructions laid out therein.

[pruned]

Further to what I wrote earlier....

Unfortunately, nobody asked you some pertinent questions - and you
didn't provide any details in your OP.

I just booted up my installation of Maverick (10.10) and I have sound,
perfect sound, sound which you would be proud of if you heard it :-) ,
and I do *NOT* have pulseaudio installed!

Let's start with the basics: I already asked you in the earlier message
if you have an onboard sound chip or a PCI audio card - so which is it?

But in any case, open a terminal/console (Applications>Accessories) and
type in (without the quotes) "sudo lshw" . You will get an output to the
screen; press and hold the Shift key and then press (keep pressing...)
the Page Up key and look for an entry which is "*- Multimedia " - this
will show which audio device/s you have available.

Note down the name of the device/s but there is no need for the complete
details. For example, while I have an onboard audio chip I have it
turned off in the BIOS so lshw shows that I have a 'SB0400 Audigy2' card
which is sitting on the pci bus.

I could stop here and wait for your response to the above, but I will
also say to go System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager and find
'alsamixergui' and install it. I am pretty sure that it is not installed
by default but if it is then leave it alone.

(At this point I would normally suggest that you get rid of pulseaudio
but I will desist right now until I get some feedback from you on the
above.)

BC

--
A man kept complaining about not having shoes to wear - until he saw a man with no legs.