No Sound :(

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sat Nov 13 03:09:45 UTC 2010

On 13/11/2010 13:28, Nathan Bahn wrote:

> 2010/11/12 Markus Schönhaber <ubuntu-users at list-post.mks-mail.de
> <mailto:ubuntu-users at list-post.mks-mail.de>>
>
>     12.11.2010 20:02, Nathan Bahn:
>
>     > I set up 10.10 as a dual boot; but I cannot get any sound.
>      Where can I find
>     > troubleshooting instructions?
>
>     https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingSoundProblems
>
>     --
>     Regards
>      mks
>
>     --
>

> Well, I would like to thank Markus Schönhaber for providing a link to
> the Ubuntu wiki troubleshooting guide for sound problems.
>
> Unfortunately, I discovered -- to my dismay -- that I lack the skill
> set required to follow the instructions laid out therein.
>
> I found myself rebooting the machine a number of times as I was
> attempting to follow the instructions, and I noticed that there were
> two sounds coming from my machine:  One appeared to be the P.O.S.T.
> signal,

Yep, this one comes from the speaker on your computer's chassis.

> but the other one APPARENTLY (as best as I could determine, anyway)
> was coming from the speakers as Ubuntu was coming "online", as it
> were.  For lack of a better term, I would describe the sound as a "bump".

Yep, and this means that you do have sound because it comes thru your
audio card to the speakers, and is generated by the system when it boots
(comes on line as you call it) just before you get the login menu.

I am sorry that I have not been following the thread and will try and
see if I can catch on things whic will give me an idea of what you are
running (audio card, Ubuntu 10.04 or 10.10, etc).

While I try and look (here being the weekend I may not get to you for a
couple of days) in System>Preferences>Sound is the slider pushed to full
or close to full volume?

> I do not know what thing(s) that I am doing wrong; but I am afraid
> that I know just enough to be dangerous to the files on the hard
> drive.  If I have to reformat the entire hard drive, then I am
> resigned to doing so (although, all things being equal, I would rather
> not since recopying the files from the original hard drive will be a
> royal pain).

If wouldn't do this - from the above comment you DO have sound and it's
only a matter of pinpointing why the full range of sound is not available.

Oh, another question: do you have onboard sound (ie on the motherboard)
and then also a PCI sound card? If so, did you turn off the onboard
sound in the BIOS setting?

BC

--
A man kept complaining about not having shoes to wear - until he saw a man with no legs.