dual display

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 18:25:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 09:09 -0600, Kenneth Loafman wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Cybe R. Wizard
> <cyber_wizard at mindspring.com> wrote:
>         On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 19:49:28 -0500
>         William Biggs <kc8pdr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>         > On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 17:30 -0600, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>         > > On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 17:13:51 -0500
>         > > William Biggs <kc8pdr at gmail.com> wrote:
>         > >
>         > > > I using dual lcd display but after I install my nvidia
>         drivers the
>         > > > nvidia software will not let me use both . But the
>         software
>         > > > monitor preferences will let me use both . Di I need to
>         use the
>         > > > nvidia software or can I use  monitor preferences
>         > > >
>         > > You need the nvidia-settings package.
>         > >

>         > It was installed still did not work
>         >

>         Maybe an indication of /exactly/ what you've done would be in
>         order.
>         The package doesn't work by itself, you know; someone has to
>         actually
>         work it (make choices, click on things, etc).
>
> Yes, you have to play with 'NVIDIA X Server Settings' under System /
> Administration to actually use both displays and organize them the way
> you want.  Just installing the package will not do anything.  I had
> the same problem, but I understand the defaults being set they way
> they were.  Hard to guess preferences ahead of time, so default to
> simple.

What is NOT apparent in Nvidia X server settings is that you have to
write out your changes, where the option to do that is under the tab "X
Server Display Configuration". Done right, it should pop up the "enter
your password" box thingie to give it root privilege to write the
xorg.conf file. Without writing the config file, the util is just a fun
box of red-buttons to push. You'd think it would be on the last tab,
prior to exiting. Or the option to save your settings could pop up prior
to exiting, automagically. Owell, it does work. Ric

Linux user# 44256