Ubuntu 10.10 bug w AC97 sound card

Mark mhullrich at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 03:49:01 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 7:00 PM, Jonathan Dlouhy <dlouhy55 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/10/2010 09:51 PM, Mark wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 6:47 PM, Jonathan Dlouhy<dlouhy55 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> What is the problem? I just joined the list. I have trouble in Java
>>> games in FF under Maverick. The sound will quit which is only fixed by
>>> restarting FF.
>>>

>> To which problem do you refer:
>>
>> 1) The problem where people top post to this group (like you just
>> did), thereby making a thread difficult or worse to read?
>>
>> or
>>
>> 2) A problem with sound that has (so far) nothing to do with Firefox?
>>
>> Just wondering....
>>
>> Mark
>>

> 1) Hey, thanks for making me feel welcome.

No problem.

> 2) As even you can see from the one post that I got there is no
> reference to what the specific problem might be.

No, I can't see that since you didn't include any context in your posting.

> 3) I'm honored to receive a personal post from someone as distinguished
> as yourself.

As well you should be.

> 4) Keep up the great work...

I intend to.

</sarcasm>

Since you joined this list, you were encouraged to read the posting
guidelines - everyone is when they/you sign up.  If you haven't been
reading the list at all, perhaps you didn't know (or care) that there
is a convention, laid out in the guidelines, about how to post.  Some
of us take these conventions quite seriously because it makes
following a thread much easier for readers, writers, advice givers and
those who just lurk hoping to glean something intelligent from the
group.

This particular thread has been running for a few days and there are
several posts about what this particular problem is for the OP (that's
original poster, fyi).  In fact, according to my gmail's count of
deleted message, this would be #20 in the thread. So there was a fair
amount of information available for anyone joining the thread to
figure out what was going on.

Some new people may not notice that there is also an archive where any
group member can look up posts from before they joined, just so they
can be informed and sound like it.  The other piece of advice I
vaguely remember from the guidelines was to read and watch and not
post until one has a clue as to the nature of the list discussions,
conventions, who is irritable and so on.  I tend to get irritated only
when two things happen - one is someone top posts with complete
disregard for the convention we use here of bottom posting, for
reasons which become quickly clear to anyone who can read more than
one post, or those who happened to catch my recent snip at mixed
postings, and the other is when posters jump into the middle of a
conversation without taking the trouble to find out what it is about.
I also don't much care for rude postings, but we'll see how that goes.

I believe that you managed to hit both of those first two buttons, and
now I'm sounding like an intolerant idiot, which I usually am not, so
I'm going to shut up...

...except to add that if you want to be welcome on a list / in a group
of this nature, there are ways to do so that work.  It's easier if you
give the same courtesy you want to get.

Might I suggest that you start a new thread if you're having a problem
with Firefox and sound, OR locate a prior thread along those lines,
read it and then see if that helps and if not, then post away.

Welcome aboard.