FULLY functional install of Ubuntu 10.10 to USB stick in a WinXP enviroment

jerry jerryturba at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 11 01:51:15 UTC 2010

On 11/10/2010 01:32 PM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On 11/10/2010 04:18 PM, jerry wrote:
>
>> Paul:
>> I am trying to set up a persistent thumb drive following these
>> instructions but the syslinux.cfg file is read only and I cannot change
>> the read/write permissions in order to edit the file.
>> sudo chmod 777 syslinux.cfg does not work.
>> Any help appreciated.
>>
> you do not boot from the USB drive, you plub it into another working
> system, then change the file..
> I had no problem changing it from either windows or another linux distro..
> once you create the files using unetbootin, are you saying you cannot
> right then edit the file?

Paul
Well that worked--sort of. I was able to edit syslinux.cfg by not
booting from the usb thumb drive but by mounting it on my current ubuntu
hard drive install; but I do not have persistence. After the edit I
booted the usb drive and installed the proprietary graphics drive,
installed a couple packages and changed the background but when I
rebooted everything was back to default.

I suspect my problem may be that I did not use unetbootin to install the
iso on the correct partition of the usb drive. Gparted and the mount
command tells me that I have the iso installed on the 1 GB vfat
partition and the other 2 partitions (ext3) are empty.

Could you explain how the partitions are intended to be used. I would
expect that the iso should be on the casper-rw partition; put my /home
partition on home-rw and use the vfat for windows to write to.

I think I will start over  with the instructions and try to edit
syslinux.cfg right after unetbootin has finished. The only option I
remember when using unetbootin for the location of the iso was the usb
drive but I will look for a way to put it on casper-rw.

Thanks for your help.
Jerry