File Sharing

P Echo p.echo926 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 01:48:39 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Wade Smart <wadesmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/10/2010 12:12 PM, Mark wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 8:14 AM, Wade Smart<wadesmart at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> :
>>>
>>> On Ubuntu 1 I click Network and see three icons:
>>> two icons look like rack servers and one says my computer name and the
>>> other says public files on this computer. The final icon says Windows
>>> Network.
>>>
>>> When I click on Windows Network on Ubuntu 1 I see the folder Workgroup.
>>> When I click on that I see another icon that is a rack server image and
>>> its that computer name. Im going in cirlces here.

What happens when you click on that rack server Icon?  It should take
you to the shared folders on that server.

>> Maybe I'm just not so into networking like this, but why would you go
>> through the Windows Network icon to see what's in your (non-Windows)
>> Public folder?  Seems like you'd want to go through the rack server
>> icon with your "public files" label....

When you use the file manager's tools to share files, it uses samba.
My server at home shares to both windows and ubuntu computers also
using samba.  Those Icons are normal when it's working!  The file
manager acts as though samba = windows.  (That's the pedigree of
samba).

> Well, thats kinda what Im getting at.
> If Im on ubuntu 1 I only see ubuntu 1's public folder.
> I dont see ubuntu 2 and the same the other way.
>
> Im not really sure how to get this file sharing to work on Ubuntu.

I'm not at home right now so can't look at my setup.  But I had to
edit sbm.conf to make sure that the settings were consistent.

Try reading this:
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/samba-fileserver.html

and compare to your setup.