Installing Ubuntu

Mark mhullrich at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 21:46:10 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Stephen <stephen_o at rogers.com> wrote:

> I tried to use VM ware and installed window in it. It didn't work!!! The
> windows drivers for the graphics card and other hardware wouldn't work,
> and the Ubuntu drivers which were patch to work with the VM ware didn't
> work properly. Especially the graphics acceleration.

I had a different problem with VMWare, but I could not get either the
server or the player to work on U10.10, so I'm using VirtualBox at the
moment.  It works with U10.10 just fine so far, but I don't use
Windows at all if I can avoid it, and I run XP SP3 because it's been
stable and I own it.  Others on this list have issues with newer
Windows VMs under VB (Jordon doesn't like its handling of Aero, or
lack thereof).

I only use WIndows for CD label creation (which did not work too well
my last time around, but I haven't really played with that since using
VB), Photoshop Elements for those few things that the GIMP can't do or
can't do well, and certain really screwy PDF files that just don't
play well on Linux (which I haven't seen since moving to Ubuntu).  I
also use it to keep my hands in the pot for those of my friends and
referrals who need help with Windows (and there are *so* many of
them...).

Mark