Which is the right nvidia driver for a GeForce 7200S?

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Wed Nov 10 07:08:12 UTC 2010

Mark wrote:
> I've tried the 204 (?) update - that refused to run, but it didn't
> cripple my system (came up in single user mode, I dpkg uninstalled it
> and all was well in the world).  I tried the 173 driver and that
> crippled my machine as I described in a post moments ago for a
> different question.
>
> Now I'm not so sure I even want to try the 96 driver, but I really
> hate having a second rate video driver for a full HD monitor - it
> just seems wrong.

Well, maybe you should return to Lucid until Nvidia supports their older
hardware with the new Xorg version [1]. For Maverick they have now
released a 96 driver [2] but it seems that does not yet really work [3].
I have a 7100 card and I'm using the 173 driver - I would expect that
your 7200 card should also use that driver. However I'm using Lucid and
I don't intend to run Maverick on this machine, so I don't have any
experience with Maverick + Nvidia.

Nils

[1] <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickMeerkat/ReleaseNotes#Graphics%20and%20Display>
[2] <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2010-November/233573.html>