Unable to start new processes

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Mon Nov 8 23:41:02 UTC 2010

On 10-11-08 01:02 PM, Chris MacDonald wrote:

> The times I'm not really concerned about for the moment. The
> installation on all of them was the same, but there is too much going
> on to put much value in to the times. The fact that C failed I think
> points me in the direction I need to go; there's something off about
> the USB implementation on this motherboard, or a change that was made
> to the kernel between 9.10 and 10.10. Does this seem reasonable?

It would not have been my first guess, but this certainly seems to be
where things are leading.  The USB bus would not have been on my first
list of suspects simply because it's such a fairly ubiquitous things.
There are only a small handful of chipsets that are used on Mobo's to
offer USB, and as far as I know, are all well supported and tested.

I guess my next step would be to compile a fresh kernel from linux.org
and see if the failure persists, and if so, ask around in the kernel
mailing list for suggestions.

Though, just to be on the safe side, I would also prepare one of your
test systems with the sata drive conncted to a sata port, to verify that
that system remains alive. (ie, make sure to narrow down the fault to USB)