will 11.04 replace bash

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Mon Nov 8 16:30:02 UTC 2010

On 11/8/2010 11:10 AM, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> On Monday 08 November 2010 04:47:09 pm Tapas Mishra wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 9:01 PM, claudiomet<claudiomet at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Unity replacing Bash ? ...NO! are different tings.
>>>
>>> Bash is a shell for text environment like csh, tcsh, zsh, ksh, etc.
>>> Unity is a graphical environment like gnome, kde, xfce, lxde, etc.
>>
>> Ok thanks I was confused on that part of the article.
>
> Besides, Unity is only supposed to become the "default" desktop, so you just
> choose another one if you don't like it (from what I have seem I'm not going
> to use either Unity northe Gnome Shell).
>
> Thierry

Please don't confuse "shell" with "GUI."  The shell is the command set
that Unix/Linux uses to instruct the computer what to do.  As a previous
note says, there are several shells available, which differ to a small
degree in how the commands must be phrased, and also to a small degree
in their capability.  Bash (Bourne Again SHell) is Linux's version of
the Unix Bourne shell.  It includes a few things that the Bourne does
not, like "less". You can also run one of the other shells, but you
probably have to install it first--most distros don't install it
automatically, like Bash.

GUI is the graphical user interface. If you want to use a different
shell, you might have to run it _under_ bash, as a subshell, so as to
keep the GUI happy, since it is controlled by the bash command set.

This would be no problem: Bash runs subshells all the time, in the
execution of its commands.  It's part of the Unix system design.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
  --A.M. Greeley