Verizon cellular access & Ubuntu

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 20:25:48 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-11-06 at 12:08 -0400, Andy Graybeal wrote:
> Hi,
> I live in a reasonably unpopulated area, but we get pretty good Verizon
> coverage.  I'm looking to get Verizon internet service at home.  We use
> Ubuntu and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and/or
> recommendations?

I'm using HughesNet sat service. Kinda pricey, but if the Verizon bit
doesn't work out, Hughs works just fine with an ethernet cable to the
Sat modem. The download limit is restricted though, until 2AM until 7AM,
so just plan on doing the heavy stuff in the wee hours. At least they
don't shut you down completely if you exceed the limits of your plan,
but you'll be throttled down to modem speeds until your limit recovers.
(about 12-24 hours or so) Not worth a tinker's for online gaming. Ric

Linux user# 44256