How can I load sata_nv before amd_pata on Hardy

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Sat Nov 6 18:02:32 UTC 2010

On 10-11-06 01:43 PM, Nigel Henry wrote:
> So what I'd like to know, is how to fix the problem so that sata_nv is loaded
> first, and the 2 sata drives are correctly identified as sda, and sdb, with
> the added pata drive as sdc.
>
> I found a lot of different commands for the initramfs, but nothing about doing
> the above, and I've never messed with initramfs before.

You're asking the wrong question.  The correct question is how to fix
your /fstab so that all partitions mount correctly based on UUID's and
break obsolete dependence on /dev/sd?

Remember that drive ordering can change from day to day, (or depending
on what the boot order of devices was used) what is /dev/sda one day can
be /dev/sdb the next.

If you must use a static dev device to refer to a drive/partition, you
would be best serve to use /dev/disk/by-id, but i can't immagine
everyday use for that.

If you are having trouble with this, the output of the following
commands can help.

mount
sudo blkid
cat /etc/fstab