Verizon cellular access & Ubuntu

kristau kristau at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 16:26:46 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Andy Graybeal
<andy.graybeal at casanueva.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I live in a reasonably unpopulated area, but we get pretty good Verizon
> coverage.  I'm looking to get Verizon internet service at home.  We use
> Ubuntu and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience and/or
> recommendations?

I've used both the Novatel U727 USB modem and the MiFi (also a Novatel
device, I believe) on the Verizon network on Ubuntu, Mac, other Linux
distros and (shudder) Windows.

While I've not used the USB modem under a recent install of Ubuntu, my
experience back when I had an 8.x version installed was that this was
pretty much a plug in and go affair. It showed up in Network Manager
as a mobile wireless device and I just clicked on it to activate.

The MiFi is even easier, since it presents a standard 802.11 wireless
hot spot with up to 5 devices allowed to connect to it.

Just beware that Verizon and most other carriers now "cap" your
service at 5 GB of bandwidth used (includes both up and down). Once
you go over that, they start charging extra. I've never gone over, but
I make sure to avoid downloading large files, sticking to just
checking e-mail and lighter browsing.

--
Tired programmer
Coding late into the night