newbie question

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 5 21:46:41 UTC 2010

On 11/04/2010 11:39 PM, Bob Schmidt wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I installed ubuntu 10.10 on my hp dv9260 x64 and everything worked
> flawlessly, including wireless. I even have skype working out of the box
> which is very unusual for me anyway.
>
> But now after a few days, for some reason my wireless will not connect.
> It sees the wireless network, but it will not connect. I can plug in a
> ethernet cable and everything works fine, it is just wireless.

Open a terminal (get used to this - Applications|Accessories|Terminal -
right click and save to panel so you'll have easy access later) and
issue these commands:

$ sudo lshw
[note: you can also use 'sudo lshw -c network' to show only the
networking portion, but I'd like to see the entire machine info)]
$ nm-tool
$ ifconfig
$ lspci -v
$ lsmod

*Do Not* post all of that here, instead copy and paste it to the content
box in: http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/ - click 'Paste!' and reply back with
the url that you are provided. That way others can look at the long
output without taking up list bandwidth.