newreader

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 5 21:33:04 UTC 2010

On 10/29/2010 08:40 AM, fsosson at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would know newsreader available in Ubuntu.

$ apt-cache search newsreader
canto - flexible ncurses Atom/RSS newsreader for the console
cone - COnsole Newsreader and Emailer
ifile-gnus-el - a news and mail classifier for the Gnus newsreader
inn - News transport system `InterNetNews' by the ISC and Rich Salz
inn2 - 'InterNetNews' news server
inn2-inews - NNTP client news injector, from InterNetNews (INN)
inn2-lfs - 'InterNetNews' news server (LFS version)
klibido - usenet binary grabber for KDE
nn - Heavy-duty USENET news reader (curses-based client)
olive - console RSS reader
pan - A Newsreader based on GTK2, which looks like Forte Agent
post-el - emacs major mode for editing mail
tin - A full-screen easy to use Usenet newsreader
xpn - graphical newsreader written in Python and GTK+ toolkit
knode - KDE news reader
trn - Threaded USENET news reader, based on rn
trn4 - Threaded USENET news reader, based on rn (4.0 beta test)

That command misses packages such as alpine etc, but you can find more here:
<http://www.newsreaders.com/unix/clients.html>

You can also add to that clients such as:
- Thunderbird
- SeaMonkey (my preference as I use the email & browser as well)
- Opera
- Evolution (not recommended as it only allows downloading of the entire
newsgroup when first set up. The others allow downloading of headers
only, and/or downloading of a set number of headers).