Usage of the name "ubuntu"

Michael Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 15:55:12 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 2:46 AM, OliWare (Gmail) <oliware at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/11/5 Cybe R. Wizard <cyber_wizard at mindspring.com>
>> On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 07:25:25 +0100
>> "OliWare (Gmail)" <oliware at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >

>> > I want to start a little business to sell laptops pre-installed with
>> > ubuntu onto it.
>> > Can I just do this in terms of trademarks and such ?
>> > Can I also call that shop "ubuntulaptop" or something ?
>> > Is there any way to find out with Canonical ?
>> >

>> > Thanks,
>> >

>> Googling for, "ubuntu trademark," gets this as the first hit:
>> http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy
>> ...and says this:
>> "Restricted use that requires a trademark licence
>>
>> Permission from us is necessary to use any of the Trademarks under any
>> circumstances other than those specifically permitted above. These
>> include:
>>        * Any commercial use."
>>

> Ok, I guess I'll have to enroll their partner program first.
> Thx for the answers, I'll contact Canonical.

This is good to know.  I've actually been throwing around the idea of
starting a business making desktop PCs, and was considering the
name...

UbuntuPC

We build everything from small miniature systems using the Atom
processor to high end systems using the Intel Core i7.  After a while
we might move up to notebooks.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking

Visit My Site:  http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1
To Contact Me:
http://sites.google.com/site/thezorch/home-1/zorch-central---contacts