pgm memory usage

C de-Avillez hggdh2 at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 5 15:01:05 UTC 2010

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 18:18:52 -0700
rikona <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:

> I have about 10 copies of konq open on all the desktops. Three of
> them are using about 30% of memory. They are all being used to see
> dir listings - none are on the net. Also have 10 'opera' browsers
> running, using 50+% of mem, and I'm getting swap issues[~80-90% of
> swap is used]. Switching pgms is quite slow.

> Is there a way to tell
> which copies, **in the GUI**, are using how much memory, or,
> alternatively, can I get the PID for a *particular* pgm in the GUI?

Yes.

* use 'ps_mem.py' [1] from Pádraig Brady. Pretty nice one, BTW. But it
  will not tell you which window the programme uses.
* use 'xprop' [2] to zero in details of the window (including PId).

So, use xprop, get the PId, and then ps_mem.py

Cheers,

[1] http://www.pixelbeat.org/scripts/ps_mem.py
[2] apt-get install xprop

--
C de-Avillez
IRC: hggdh

This email (and any attachments) is digitally signed using GNUpg
(http://gnupg.org). The public key is available at http://pgp.mit.edu.
The key Id is 0xD3133E56.