Installing Ubuntu

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Fri Nov 5 06:41:49 UTC 2010

On 05/11/2010 17:30, Stephen wrote:
> On 04/11/2010 11:48 PM, Mark wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 9:41 PM, Stephen<stephen_o at rogers.com>   wrote:
>>
>>> I want to install Ubuntu so it boots from a floppy drive so Windows will
>>> boot unless the floppy is in the drive.
>>>
>>> When I have installed Ubuntu in the past it doesn't give me the option.
>>> Is there some way I can set that option before I start the install
>>>

>> If you can find a boot partition collection that fits on a floppy
>> drive, I'm sure you MIGHT be able to do this.
>>
>> You do realize that there are many ways to accomplish this approximate
>> task without resorting to such arcane methods, right?
>>
>> Mark
>>

> I didn't express myself clearly. I want the boot loader to be on the
> floppy disk, so with out the floppy it will go straight to windows.
>
> Thanks again.
> Stephen Oulton

All you need to do is to do a small adjustment to grub (the boot loader
in Ubuntu) to boot into Windows first - unless, at boot time you select,
from the menu, that you want to boot into Ubuntu.

Nothing magical about it - only a simple configuration exercise.

BC

--
Gumperson's Law: The probability of anything happening is in
inverse proportion to its desirability.