set FQDN for hostname

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 03:22:01 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 18:54 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 11/04/2010 06:40 PM, Mark wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> more nonsense.
>
> And yet another regression to BS off topic comments without a single
> post in this thread attempting to assist. What is wrong with you people?
> Nevermind, don't reply it would just generate more noise.
>
> @Thufir: I know of no GUI for setting the FQDN... ethtool is your best
> option. See:
>
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/maverick/man8/ethtool.8.html
>
> or via a terminal:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install ethtool
> $ man ethtool

Can't just edit /etc/hosts?? Always works for me.

wayward4now at iam:~$ more /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       linux.local     localhost.localdomain   localhost
192.168.0.2     iam.wayward4now.net     iam

::1     localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
wayward4now at iam:~$ hostname
iam
wayward4now at iam:~$ hostname -f
iam.wayward4now.net
wayward4now at iam:~$

Just restart networking and it'll re-read the hosts file. Piece O cake.
Ric

Linux user# 44256