use of fschk

Mark mhullrich at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 17:05:04 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 5:53 AM, Karl Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:

>     I will avoid buying an ATA SAMSUNG hard drive. Yes all HD do have
> bad sectors and these are removed by the first factory pre-format. Your
> problem seems to be that your HD is growing more bad sectors.
>
>     Suggest you save money for a new hard drive and start over. I use
> Western Digital and have not had many problems.

I second that about WD drives.  I have 2 WDs in my system and used to
have a Seagate for sdb, but it kept reporting massive numbers of
errors (0xffffffff) every half hour or so.  I used the Seagate
seatools to verify that there weren't *really* any errors on the disk,
but I finally decided I needed more space and got a Hitachi 1TB to
replace it.  So far I haven't seen any issues with the Hitachi, and my
two WDs are humming along just fine at around 1-2years old.

I hadn't heard of any issues with Samsung before - maybe it's that
leading S that's the problem....  :-)

Mark